Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ch-Ch-Ch-CHANGES

The news stations reported this week that 20,000 people lost their jobs in January...I was one of the 20,000. I received a phone call from my boss at the flower shop where I design on the 3rd of January...he said he was closing the shop. That was it...a flower shop that had been in operation for 52 years was dead. Which meant I had to go looking for a job! Over the last year and a half I have seen other florist in the area lock their doors and walk away. Whether it's the economy, grocery stores, or the Internet , the floral industry is dying a slow death. There are a lot of designers looking for a job and I had joined their ranks. I sat down at the computer and punched up my resume, made copies and headed out to find a job I knew probably didn't exist.
As long as I was making a change what did I really want to do?
On the first of February I started at The Scrapbook Barn...not only do I get to work there...I get to teach too...and that's what I really want to do!

P.S. Please support your local florist! Stop looking on the internet...pick up the phone and call them!

4 comments:

Little Black Scrap Cat said...

I'm all over that since our DIL has a florist shop in San Diego! For the past several years I have been striving to support the smaller mom-and-pop businesses, and/or any business that I frequent, in our LOCAL area. I shop the local grocery store, plant nursery, fast food, etc. If you want your community to survive, this is the time to support those shops.

Patty, I'm so sorry this has struck you. However, I'm glad you have found a new job!! And, as it turns out, the Scrapbook Barn is in my local community, and close to my home!! So, as I will miss you on the DT for Mystic Paper, I may just see you at The Barn!! I wish you all the best!!

Lindsey said...

Patty I am so sorry to hear this but I am happy that you found a job that i know you will love and be good at. Good luck and i will definently stop by to say hi!

Becky Bunn said...

I wish you well in your new adventure. Sometimes change is just what we need

tanya watts said...

i always say "embrace change" so i hope this change in your life turns out to be for the very best xxxx